The Hastings Park Conservancy hosts free guided nature walks in the Sanctuary at Hastings Park, nearly every month (except August and December), year-round. This amazing FREE activity is not only a refreshing morning walk around the pond, but is also a great opportunity to learn about the diverse bird species and other creatures that inhabit the Sanctuary at Hastings Park, from experienced biologists and naturalists who know the park well.
- Walk Details and Meeting Spots (UPDATED January 2013)
- Schedule 2013
- Bus Transportation, Walking, Parking
- Sanctuary Map
The walks are rain or shine! View the current schedule here, and mark your calendars! Walks last about 2 hours.
REGULAR MEETING SPOT (NEW in January 2013!): Most 9:00 AM walks, and our annual evening and dawn chorus walks meet at the west entrance to the Sanctuary, directly east of Pandora St off of Renfrew (closer to new washroom location, see area map below).
NOTE: Some special event walks are set to meet at the Miracle Mile Statue on the corner of E. Hastings and Renfrew Streets, please verify alternate meeting spots with the walk schedule.
Over 120 species of birds have been identified in this peaceful urban wilderness since it was restored in 1997 (Link to PDF of latest Bird List here. Print it and bring it along on your walk!). Learn about birds, plants, trees, flowers, aquatic life and more. We want you to share our amazing eastside secret.
Bring binoculars if you have them, but please leave dogs at home as they can disturb birds and other wildlife during the walk.
Bus Transportation, Walking, Parking
There is free parking onsite for visitors to the Sanctuary (near the regular meeting spot), or take the bus (see below) or walk to Hastings and Renfrew Streets, or Pandora and Renfrew Streets. If traveling by bus, you will need to walk in to the meeting spot from your bus stop (see below).
- #135 SFU/Burrard, and #14 Hastings/UBC buses both stop on E. Hastings St, near the Renfrew St. intersection. Both buses travel east or west along E. Hastings.
- The #16 29th Avenue Stn bus stops on Renfrew St. after turning the corner from E. Hastings (heading south on Renfrew); or #16/Arbutus bus stops on E. Hastings St., after turning left off of Renfrew (heading west on E. Hastings).
- The #04 Powell bus (heading east from downtown) ends its route at the corner of Eton and Renfrew Streets, which is across from the Pacific Coliseum entrance of Hastings Park (see the bus icon with the arrow pointing off the map below); You can walk south from Eton St, along Renfrew St. about 3 blocks to a pedestrian crossing at Dundas St; cross Renfrew St, then continue up Renfrew about 2 more blocks to the park entrance just past the skateboard bowl(across from Pandora St), to reach the regular meeting spot at the west entrance of the Sanctuary in Hastings Park
(Check the Translink website for routes and schedules).
Hastings Park Map with Sanctuary
Back to Top