One week after closure of this year’s PNE Fair, a community member photographed the shameful extent of the mess and litter still unattended to, all over the Hastings Park site (photos below). On the same day, multiple city councillors and BC MLAs attended the BC Derby at Hastings Racecourse, just next door to the fair grounds, presenting awards. Did they take note of the huge mess? Did racecourse guests notice?
We sure noticed this was one of the worst years in recent memory for the post-PNE state of our park, which should be maintained as a welcoming, safe community resource at all times.
This is the double standard of the maintenance of Hastings Park–treated unlike any other park in Vancouver, with the PNE Board completely in charge and, as of July this year, no more input from our elected Parks Board.
Can you imagine Queen Elizabeth Park or Stanley Park being left this way after a big event? Jericho Park after a Folk Festival?
Is this acceptable management of Vancouver’s second-largest park?
We encourage residents to voice their concerns to City Hall, with Cc to all City councillors, as well as Park Board commissioners and the CEO of the PNE, at the contact emails below:
– George Affleck: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Elizabeth Ball: email@example.com
– Adriane Carr: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Melissa De Genova: email@example.com
– Heather Deal: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Kerry Jang: email@example.com
– Raymond Louie: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Geoff Meggs: email@example.com
– Andrea Reimer: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Tim Stevenson: email@example.com
Park Board Commissioners: PBcommissioners@vancouver.ca
Mike McDaniel, CEO PNE: firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to Top